Monday, September 30, 2019

What is one of your hidden talents?

I take attendance by asking the students a question.

What is one of your hidden talents? (previously: 2017 2016)

A surprising number listed sleep-related talents. We are mid-semester, so perhaps students' minds are a bit focused on this now.
  • sleeping through anything
  • I can sleep
  • I am good at stealing mattresses
  • I nap very well
  • I can sleep through 5 alarms
  • Not sure if it's hidden but I can sleep all day long.
Others had performance skills:

  • I am a great singer in the shower
  • juggling
  • I can sing??
  • I can spin a book.
  • oboe
  • I play a mean kazoo
  • I can climb trees real good
  • playing guitar behind the back
  • marching
  • I can do a split
  • bending my thumb backwards
  • I am quite flexible
  • I can write with both my hands
  • I'm somewhat ambidexterous
  • I can't get dizzy
  • getting injured
  • burping on command
  • eating a lot
  • drinking copious amounts of coffee
  • procrastination



Some were unusual:
  • smelling fire
  • hair!
  • naming English monarchs
  • crying silently
And others took the "hidden" quite strongly:
  • wouldn't be hidden if I told
  • N/A
  • couldn't tell you
The phrase "a mean kazoo" will stick with me.


This post's theme word is trombenik / trombenick (n), "a lazy or boastful person." The trombenick never practiced trombone, but claimed to be a virtuoso.

No comments: