Tuesday, September 5, 2017

I Hate Everyone But You

Allison Raskin and Gaby Dunn (comedy duo with YouTube channel Just Between Us) write/create/star in funny video sketches, and vlogging(?)/advice snippets, and also have now written a book!

The book is called i hate everyone but you, and it is a modern epistolary novel --- it consists of text messages and emails sent between two friends (parallelling the real-life friendship and characters of the authors). The book contains some pop culture references, some timely culture references (the issues of today!), and lots of feelings between best friends attending college on opposite sides of the continent. In two completely different ways, they manage to have "usual" college first-year experiences, with the added update (from my now out-of-date memories) that everyone has a smartphone all the time, which makes documenting and contacting anyone instantaneously available.

I liked it. The book was cute (it's marketed as YA, so it's a little outside my usual reading zone) and funny. In an amusing meta-twist, one character suggested to the other, "Maybe start a YouTube channel! Those things can blow up!" (p. 109), and later links to the Just Between Us channel and says "You're such an Allison" (p. 282) to the obviously-an-Allison-analogue character. 

I also appreciated the overwrought, highly-dramatic versions of their lives that the characters wrote in emails; there are certainly emails in my own "sent" folder that are as ridiculous, condensed, and silly. In the midst of juggling a description of many people attending a party, we have this snippet (p. 158):
Cassidy preferred to join a grating conversation about the semicolon. He could later be heard quoting Oscar Wilde from the other room. The night proceeded without further incident until...
Possibly it's not as funny without the context, but I'm unwilling to type in pages of text and besides, you should read it for yourself! It's a quick, fun read.


This post's theme word is tarnal, "damned." The comments section is full of the tarnal dregs of the internet.

1 comment:

bob k. said...

I finally got around to looking you up on the internet. Not sure why, but you did seem like a nice and interesting person, so why not. Not surprised to see a review of this book, given where we met (white haired old guy at the book show? Psychologist?). I liked the book too, but in a "not my generation" way. I keep thinking I should start a youtube channel about how youtube is ageist. Are there any popular channels where the host is over 40? It always amazes me that there are teenagers giving out life-advice to thousands of viewers. But I do adore Gabby & Allison's channel, even at only one vid per week. Hope you're having a fun semester.

PS: I can't seem to keep my on-line stuff going, but I do occasional tumbling at "youmayhavemissed"