At last, an alliterative monthly theme worth following! Welcome to the EFF's Opt Out October, with a sequence of tips "to trim down the amount of data that's collected about you or available online, throwing sand in the gears of corporate surveillance."
If you haven't thought about opting out of data collection, please follow the link and read about it.
There is one facets of the internet that big, data-collecting corporations only selectively understand. When it is time to judge whether they are a monopoly, even Facebook frames its total addressable market as "all human interaction", in order to claim that it is not a monopoly. The flip side is competition: if you make your website heinous enough, if you make your data-collection unpleasant and your interface obscures my access to resources, then I can just leave. I can get off the internet. I can go to the library. I can go outside. I can interact with people who are physically near me, mediated only by the real world, without the middle-man of any technology between us.
We can all go outside and impede surveillance cameras in the real world!
This post's theme word is withsay (v tr), "to contradict, deny, oppose, or refuse." We can collectively withsay corporate manufactured consent to data collection, probably via opt-outs and new legal rules.
No comments:
Post a Comment