Monday, November 25, 2019

Are you, in fact, here?

I take attendance by having the students answer a question. Usually I try to make it something creative or interesting, but sometimes I, like everyone else, just time out on creativity and come up entirely and completely blank.

Are you, in fact, here?

Everything along the spectrum of yes-to-no:

  • Yup
  • yea
  • I was here on time :)
  • alarm broke but I'm here
  • shockingly
  • yes
  • contrary to popular belief, yes
  • basically lol
  • physically, yes
  • briefly yes, from 9:30-9:30.5
  • Just so I don't get fined
  • Yes (probably not when you're reading this)
  • Yes. maybe
  • I hope
  • I don't know
  • physically, yes, mentally, maybe
  • perhaps?
  • Well. Maybe. I don't know. I don't know anything
  • in theory
  • No, I'm [first name]
  • NO
  • we are not here
  • No, my soul is somewhere else
  • No, I was here.
  • No one is here
  • 24 hours late
And then the other sort of answer:
  • are you?
  • who's "here"?
  • carrot
  • VC \leq_p WVC
A lot of existential waffling this morning.


This post's theme word is Bulverism (n), the logical fallacy of assuming that your opponent is wrong and explaining their error. Some uppity students are verging into brief Bulverism with their responses to attendance questions.

No comments: