Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Final exam

Now shall we sit and observe how collective test-taking anxiety slowly and palpably fills the room.

You know that recurring, popular nightmare, where you suddenly realize that you have a final exam today and you

  • forgot to study?
  • forgot to attend the class?
  • forgot to drop the class way back in week 1 of the semester?
  • don't speak the language?
  • don't set an alarm?
  • look at the exam page and the words and symbols swim before your eyes and you can't make sense of anything at all?
That nightmare is no better from the other side; now it's just a nightmare of the form "what if I oversleep and show up late to my own exam?" I am a more nervous test-giver than I ever was a test-taker; more than my own performance is at stake. Is there such a thing as secondhand test anxiety?

So I will sit here, quietly, and answer questions for several hours in my most calm and composed faรงade of professorial authority and serenity.
HT: Head Like an Orange on tumblr

This post's theme word is ovine (adj), "of, relating to, or resembling, sheep." And now we process into the examination room, ovine and orderly.

No comments: